Saturday, March 31, 2007

Suggestions re this initiative

Paschal,
You may not have heard that I am running for Commissioner of Agriculture
in the Republican primary.
The Primary is May 22. When elected to that position, I could so some
interesting work with prisoners and agriculture. I am also teaching tues
and thursdays at KSU.
I am still very interested in the prison issue, but have decided a can
have more influence on state policy if I have a little budget and staff to
do it with.
So Bottom Line is that I might be able to attend a meeting, but am
in no position to put much energy for about two months. After that, it
depends.
As I know you know, every issue related to prisons is related to
something else. My own view is that the group should have a broader
mission than sentencing reform, ie. tackle the whole issue of how we make
our societies safe and achieve effective justice. That may sound like
converting the whole world to christianity, but we could set priorities
within the group and sentencing reform could be mission one.
Other possible high priority might restoration of felon rights.

Two alternative suggestions for naming the group: Kentuckians for
Effective Justice or KEEP (Kentuckian Expecting Effective Prisons) .

That wont make us sound so "liberal" and give us a clever acronym that people can remember.
I have been traveling with Jon Larsen on the stump.

Best of luck and thanks for taking the leadership to keep
something moving.

Don Stosberg, March 30

No comments: